Director Kwak Kyung Taek talks about Lee Jae Wook's role and gaze


Q. While watching 'Battle of Jangasri', I remembered Director Saul Dibb's movie 'Journey's End' (2017). It overlapped with the student soldiers of 'Battle of Jangsari' who endured the hell life of war with their whole body and heart. 

A. It was not easy to balance the appearance of several people in one movie. Especially, I'm still upset that I had to edit out Gae Tae (Lee Jae Wook character)'s dream scene. I think it's a scene that I should have pushed a little bit. Gae Tae kept watching the young soldiers bleed in front of him. "Hyung-nim, we will get punished for killing people right?" Gae Tae answered: "No that's not right. I will die. Your mother told you to come back home quickly." Then Gae Tae wakes up and there was North Koreans soldiers came running. But I shot this scene in a bizarre way. I tried to edited but It got a different feeling. I decided to leave it out. That's why I'm afraid of having an eye contact with Gae Tae...(laughs).

Q. Among the student soldiers, Lee Jae Wook, who played the role of Gae Tae, had a good gaze.

A. Right?

Q. Isn't a familiar and wild gaze in your films?

A. I was surprised when I first met him. 'Wow there is a boy who looks like this' that's what I thought. He was smiling but I could see all his gums. I asked him to come for an audition. I told him to make sure to come. Your gums are to kill for. On Set, I told him to smile like that in front of the camera.On Set, through the walkie-talkie I kept saying "Gums! Gums!". I needed them. Because he is the son of a hunter who lived in the mountains. That's why he had to have a naive face.


Director Kwak Kyung Taek: "Choi Minho, Lee Jae Wook and all the student soldiers, will make it big as actors"

In this film, a lot of young actors appeared because it deals with student soldiers story. Kwak Kyung Taek said: "I really like Lee Jae Wook's gaze. I was surprised from the first time I met him. Kim Min Kyu was also outstanding. I did predict it. Choi Minho's acting posture was really good. I adored them a lot." He praise all the actors.

Source: (1)(2)
Translated by Lee Jae Wook Fans | leejaewookfans.blogspot.com
Please do not translate to other language without permission. 
Don’t forget to credit Us when sharing! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM FEED

@leejaewookintl